I know what you’re thinking… oh not another self help guide! I personally hate self help guides – especially the diet ones as I’m sorry but two cakes in each hand is a balanced diet!! So you may question why I am even writing this piece – but if I could physically show you the difference between a bride who has invested in her skin compared to another bride who has not you’d be amazed that the difference. It’s not just the way the make sits on the skin it is also the confidence it brings from having great skin even when bare.
I have often spoken about the need for taking a little bit of time to really get your skin in tip top condition before your wedding day and to not solely rely on your makeup artist to provide cover ups. It’s a bit like having good fitting underwear under a silky dress. You wouldn’t want ill fitting undies!
So here are my top tips for amazing model-like skin:
1. Drink! There’s a reason why water is considered a life force in many cultures – it helps to plump the skin and hydrate every cell in the body. Drink this tonic to also reduce the appearance of wrinkles and the size of pores. I have never been to a photoshoot where the model does not have a large bottle of Evian!
2. Supplements. The earlier you can start taking skin supplements before your wedding day the better to get the full benefit. As always check with your local GP before using. The best I have found (and recommended by models) is Imedeen Derma One
3. Have a good quality regular facial – but not too close to the wedding day. Facials are designed to bring all those pesky toxins to the surface along with simulating the circulation. They are fab to have on the run up to the wedding to get rid of engrained dirt, spots and blackheads but don’t have any in the final two weeks to prevent last minute breakouts.
4. Stay out of the sun. Very rarely will any of my model friends go into direct sunlight for an extended period of time and only unless they have to for a shoot, or have factor 50 all over their body and I mean ALL over their body! Having a tan may look amazing now, but trust me it won’t in 10-20 years time when the skin is crusty and has age spots accelerated by the sun’s damage!
5. Diet and exercise. It kind of goes without saying but diet and exercise is the game changer for many models. My model friends eat pure and exercise everyday – fruit and vegetables along with white meat seem to be the stable and is very good for the skin. Swimming and weights is also a favourite as it’s less intensive and focuses on non-impact training and lengthening the muscles.
So go on give it a try and see if you can get model skin for your wedding x
Photography New Forest Studio